The Marine Code protects the marine flora, fauna and wildlife. Getting familiar with the code will allow you to enjoy Eryri’s coastal wildlife safely and responsibly securing its future enjoyment for everyone.
Protect Eryri's coast—follow the marine code
By following the marine code guidelines, we can ensure that Eryri’s coastal landscape and wildlife are protected for the future.
Dolphins, Porpoises & Seals
The coastal areas of Eryri are home to dolphins, porpoises and seals.
If you’re on a boat:
- Slow down gradually to minimum speed
- Do not make sudden changes in speed or course
- Do not steer directly towards them or approach within 100m
You should also avoid:
- Attempting to touch, feed or swim with them
- Take extra care to avoid disturbing animals with young
- Do not approach seals resting on the shore
- Do not enter sea caves during the pupping season (1st August to 31st October)
- Do not discard litter or fishing tackle at sea
- Avoid making any unnecessary noise near the animals
- Keep out from cliffs in the breeding season (1st March – 31st July)
- Avoid making any unnecessary noise close to cliffs
- Keep clear of groups of birds resting or feeding on the sea